This Privacy and Information Security Policy (hereinafter the “Policy”) sets out the practices of AlterGo, AlterGo Events and AlterGo Expertise (hereinafter “AlterGo”) as they pertain to the personal information collected by AlterGo in the following situations: an individual or an organization becomes a member, an organization requests a service, an individual or an organization submits a nomination for a Recognition Award, an individual becomes a volunteer, an individual applies for employment, a person makes a donation, an individual participates in an activity hosted or organized by AlterGo, an individual subscribes to one of AlterGo’s newsletters, or an individual visits the AlterGo website ( or the Défi sportif AlterGo website (https://defisportif.com/en/) (hereinafter the “Websites”).
This Policy takes into account the requirements of the Act respecting the protection of personal information in the private sector, R.S.Q., (hereinafter the “Act”) c. P-39.1, and all other applicable laws and regulations.
What is Personal Information?
AlterGo defines the term “personal information” as any information about an individual that allows that individual to be identified, either directly or indirectly. Under the Act, information of a professional nature such as job title, business mailing address, business email address or business telephone number is not considered to be personal information.
Collection and Use of Personal Information
AlterGo shall collect, retain, use and disclose your personal information solely with your consent, and only for the purposes specified below, unless otherwise required or permitted by the Act. For any other use of your personal information, your consent will be requested.
AlterGo collects only the personal information it requires for the delivery of its services and activities, as well as for the purposes identified in this Policy. The information collected is as follows:
- Member organizations: First name, last name, telephone number and email address of the president of the organization, as well as the first and last names of each board member.
- Individual members: First name, last name, telephone number, email address and résumé.
- AlterGo volunteers: First name, last name, home address, email address, telephone number, date of birth, photograph, photo identification, résumé of professional experience, shirt size and functional limitation(s).
- Candidates applying as trainers, resource persons or exploratory walk leaders: First name, last name, email address, telephone number and résumé.
- Recognition program nominations: First name, last name and email address of the contact person.
- Participants in AlterGo activities: First name, last name and email address.
- Participants in AlterGo sports activities: First name, last name, email address, date of birth, gender, functional limitation(s) and credit card number (if required).
- Persons wishing to communicate with AlterGo: First name, last name, email address and telephone number.
- Newsletter subscribers: First name, last name, email address and relationship with AlterGo.
- Website browsing: Some data is collected automatically. Please refer to the section on cookies, below.
- Donations to AlterGo: AlterGo collects the donor’s full name, home address, telephone number and email address from its service provider, in order to acknowledge donations. Persons who prefer to make a donation anonymously are requested to check the applicable box on the electronic donation form.
- Requests for financial assistance through the Programme d’accès en loisir de l’île de Montréal (PALÎM): AlterGo collects the following information from organizations whose applications for financial assistance have been approved by PALÎM: the participant’s age, postal code, functional limitation(s) and required support measures, as well as information pertaining to their participation in camp activities.
- Contest entries: From each form that is completed and submitted, AlterGo collects the entrant’s first name, last name, email address and answers(s) to skill-testing questions. No personal information is retained from forms that have not been completed or submitted to AlterGo.
It should be noted that names and other details appear on AlterGo’s mailing lists and are used for the following purposes:
- Correspondence (postal or electronic) to solicit support from individuals.
- Correspondence (postal or electronic) to invite supporters to attend or participate in special events.
- Consultations or surveys to help AlterGo.
- Electronic correspondence informing users of updates or items of interest on AlterGo’s Websites. All emails from AlterGo contain the option to unsubscribe from its electronic mailing lists.
AlterGo shall take reasonable steps to protect the personal information it collects by implementing appropriate security measures.
AlterGo acknowledges the importance of protecting the personal information of all individuals who come into contact with the organization. All data collected by AlterGo, including personal information, is stored in secure locations and on controlled servers, which are located in Quebec whenever possible. However, AlterGo’s suppliers may store personal information on servers located outside of Canada and thus be subject to the laws of the host country. AlterGo takes all reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is adequately protected in accordance with this Policy.
Furthermore, all personal information that is transmitted through AlterGo’s Websites is encrypted. This makes the information difficult to intercept, and it remains strictly confidential during transmission. A small locked padlock icon at the bottom of the browser window and a URL address beginning with “https://” rather than “http://” indicate that the page on which the information is being entered is protected by SSL (Secure Sockets Layer).
When online donations are made through AlterGo’s Websites, donors are automatically redirected to the CanadaHelps online donation gateway. The donor’s personal information is thus provided directly to CanadaHelps. CanadaHelps makes the following personal information available to AlterGo for the purposes described in the previous section: first name, last name, home address, telephone number and email address.
AlterGo restricts access to personal information to authorized personnel only, whose duties require such access. Authorized personnel are adequately trained to safeguard personal information and protect privacy.
AlterGo ensures that personal information is destroyed or anonymized when it is no longer required and when the purposes for which it was collected have been fulfilled. When personal information is anonymized, it can no longer be used to identify an individual, either directly or indirectly.
Third-Party Access to Personal Information
In addition to AlterGo employees whose duties necessitate access to the personal information collected by AlterGo, the following persons may have access to your personal information:
- Volunteers whose duties require such access for activities organized by AlterGo.
- Service providers whose duties require such access in connection with activities organized by AlterGo.
- Certain service providers (for example, software programming firms) who may occasionally obtain access to personal information in order to provide the service required of them. However, these service providers are strictly prohibited from using the information for any other purposes. AlterGo has entered into service agreements with each of these suppliers to ensure the protection of any personal information they may have access to.
- Site managers of activities organized by AlterGo.
- Organizers of sports competitions and relevant sports federations, upon signature of an agreement.
- AlterGo may be required by law to disclose your personal information to other entities, such as legal counsel or government agencies with the authority to obtain such personal information.
AlterGo may also use or disclose your personal information in circumstances where it believes that such use or disclosure is permitted, necessary or appropriate under applicable law.
AlterGo will never share your personal information with a third party, other than as described above, without your consent.
AlterGo does not sell or trade its client, participant or member lists to any organization or company.
Links to External Sites
Accessing Your Personal Information
AlterGo shall provide any person whose personal information is collected and held by AlterGo the opportunity to correct any personal information that is inaccurate or incomplete. To make a request, please contact the person named below, in writing. AlterGo will respond to all requests for access to or correction of information within thirty (30) days of receipt of the request. If a request is refused, the privacy officer will provide the reason(s) for the refusal to the person who made the request.
You may suspend or withdraw your consent to the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information. However, under certain circumstances, withdrawing your consent may prevent AlterGo from continuing to provide you with the products and services you have requested or from properly assessing and processing your requests.
In order to maintain and improve the quality of its services, AlterGo invites individuals to express any dissatisfaction they may have regarding the protection of personal information collected, retained, used or disclosed by AlterGo. Any person wishing to file a complaint must contact the person identified below in writing. The complaint must include the following information:
- First and last name of the person making the complaint
- Telephone number
- Mailing address or email address
- Reason for the complaint
All complaints shall be handled confidentially. AlterGo will acknowledge receipt of the complaint within five (5) business days of the date of receipt. AlterGo will respond to complaints within thirty (30) days of receipt of the complaint.
Contact Information of the Privacy Officer
Should you have any questions or concerns, should you wish to exercise your rights or should you wish to file a complaint regarding the protection of personal information, please contact AlterGo’s privacy officer:
Maxime Gagnon, President and Chief Executive Officer
514-933-2739 ext. 213
525 Dominion Street, Suite 340, Montréal, Quebec H3J 2B4
Telephone: 514-933-2739 ext. 213
Changes to the Policy
This Policy may be modified by AlterGo at any time. All changes to the Policy will take effect immediately upon posting.