1. How to become a volunteer?
You can now access our registration platform to create an account or use the one already associated with your email address. You will then only have to choose the activities that suit your interests and your availability. Hurry, some places are selling out quickly.
You can also consult the Volunteer Guide, which will answer many of your questions.
2. Is there a minimum age to volunteer?
Children aged 10 to 13 can also sign up but they must be accompanied by an adult who will be on the site with them. The adult must accompany the young volunteer and make sure he is on-time, diligent and follows the rules.
3. What types of activities are done by volunteers?
At the Defi sportif AlterGo, there are volunteer activities for everyone. There are over 80 teams spread across seven sectors :
- Services to individuals: reception on competition sites, hotels and at Aéroport de Montréal, clerk at the competition sites’ cafeterias.
- Assistance for on-site sports competitions: Scorekeeper, timekeeper, results and anti-doping agent, etc.
- Material resources: assembly and dismantling, store clerk.
- Entertainment: entertainment officer, opening ceremonies.
- Transportation: Drivers and assistant drivers.
- Protocol: Agents at awards ceremony, guest escorts.
- Medical team
Défi sportif AlterGo offers volunteer activities to suit all interests. We will need volunteers on these different sites :
- Aréna Howie-Morenz
- Aréna Maurice-Richard
- Aéroport de Montréal
- Centre sportif Édouard-Montpetit (Longueuil)
- Complexe sportif Claude-Robillard
- Parc Jarry
4. To volunteer, do I have to be available every day?
5. Can a friend, family member or colleague volunteer at the same place as me?
In the official registration form, available at the end of February, there is a “Comments” section just below the activity selection window. Just write: “I would like to be in the same team as (full name of the person)” and we will do our best to make it happen.
6. Can I volunteer with a group?
7. Am I automatically accepted after signing up online?
8. CAN I MAKE CHANGES TO MY ELECTRONIC REGISTRATION FORM?
You can modify your personal information (contact info and photos) online by using your email address and password.
You cannot change your choice of activity or schedule online. That must be done by telephone (514-933-2739 ext. 228) or e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org). We ask that you describe clearly the changes to be made.
9. WHAT SHOULD I DO IF CAN NO LONGER VOLUNTEER?
Contact the volunteer management team or your team leader as soon as possible to make the change. Each volunteer has value. As a consequence, it is important that the Défi sportif AlterGo be informed of any absence in order to find replacements and ensure smooth running of competitions.
10. Do you reimburse public transportation?
11. Do I have to pay my parking
12. DOES DÉFI SPORTIF ALTERGO PROVIDE MEALS TO VOLUNTEERS?
FORMATIONS AND POLICIES
13. Are there information and training sessions for volunteers?
Training about interactions with people with functional limitations is also offered.
In some cases, additional specific training is required so that volunteers can be fully efficient on site.
The time and place of the general volunteer meeting will be specified in the schedule confirmation email.
14. Are the general and specific trainings mandatory?
Specific training is required to ensure smooth running of activities in a given area. In some cases, you might not be able to perform all the tasks of your assigned position if you did not get specific training.
However, no volunteer will be expelled for not following either training.